It is a known fact that Filipinos are creative and great in design, no contention to that. Every year, we allot a week to celebrate the Filipino's design prowess thru Design Week, happening this week April 22-28!
The Design Center of the Philippines spearheads #DesignWeekPH annually to showcase the brilliance of the Filipino, with goals of empowering design communities and hubs on creativity and diversity.
“Design Week Philippines is Design Center’s community sandbox, inviting stakeholders across sectors to celebrate design through playful experimentation and free-form exploration,” Design Center Executive Director Rhea Matute said. “With Intramuros as our starting point in earlier editions, Design Week Philippines has flourished and is now commemorated in 11 cities, with 35 partners, and through 42 events.”
Matute added that this edition of Design Week Philippines carries the theme Design Kaleidoscope: Seeing the World Differently Thru Design. “The theme embodies Design Center’s vision for the country’s design and creative sectors – bursting with color and fully embracing their diversity to empower the next driver of the Philippine economy,” she explained.
Though Intramuros is the starting point, the reach of the event is beyond the walled city, spanning to Makati, Mandaluyong, Marikina, Manila, Muntinlupa, Pasig, Pasay, Taguig, Quezon City, Cebu, and Davao. The goal is to warm up design and creatives who would like to take a shot in the country's booming creative industry.
“Design Week invites individuals from diverse backgrounds and disciplines to explore areas for collaboration,” Matute explained. “In our talks and workshops, different business-support organizations and industry experts will guide participants as they make their way as sustainable enterprises in the creative industries.”
From April 22-28, Design Week Philippines here the the spaces and events that will happen in the metro and said places in the Philippines:
- Makati (Designing for Impact in Communities);
- Manila (Fashion Revolution Week, Laro, Laro, Likha, Deutscher Werkbund Exhibit, Wim Wenders Retrospective, Meeting of Styles);
- Mandaluyong (Animator’s Couch and Film Screening, Paper Engineering for Kids, Leather Craft Workshop);
- Marikina (Philippine Footwear Design Competition);
- Muntinlupa (Architectural Rendering and Visualization, Talks on Art Collection and Interior Design, and Collections & Interior Design Exhibit);
- Pasay (Manila FAME);
- Pasig (Creative Nation Academy Workshop Series, The Good Trade PH);
- Quezon City (Creative Roundtable and Makers Mixer, A Different View, Paper Quilling);
- Taguig (Pluma, Young Writers Hangout)
- Cebu (Bamboo Workshop), and
- Davao (Unstitch: A Fashion and Sustainability Fair).
For more details, how about following them at Design Center of the Philippines or the event's official account at Design Week Philippines.
This article is a press release and edits were made before publishing.
All images supplier by Design Center of the Philippines.